KZN organisations recognised for efforts toward a greener and more sustainable future
Categories: HEADLINES, Environment & Bio-diversity |
Author: News Desk
Posted: 2018/11/16 |
Organisations in KZN had the opportunity to be acknowledged for effective and efficient waste management practices at the IWMSA KZN Waste Management Awards 2018. After a rigorous judging process, including site visits and audits, the winners were honoured for their positive contributions to the waste industry.
Caption: Service Category Winner T&T Bed and Breakfast took home trophies for being committed to responsible and effective waste management practices. Vice Chairman of the Institute of Waste Management of Southern Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) Branch Nash Dookhi (above left) with Tracy Phillips (above middle) from T&T Bed and Breakfast, and Deputy Mayor Fawzia Peer (above right). Several KZN based organisations took part in IWMSA’s KZN Waste Management Awards and the winners were announced last night, 15 November 2018, at the IWMSA KZN Branch’s gala function at Mount Edgecombe Country Club in Durban. [Photographer: Leigth Eksteen; high resolution images available on request].
Unilever Indonsa (large general manufacturing category), CHEP Cornubia (smaller general manufacturing category), and T & T Bed and Breakfast (service industry category) walked away with top honours at the prestigious awards.
“The biennial IWMSA KZN Waste Management Awards were established in 1992 and recognises the top organisations in the province that actively promote and incorporate best practices in waste management toward a greener and more sustainable future,” says Lindsay Strachan Chairperson of the IWMSA’s KZN Branch. “From the entries it is evident that are becoming more geared toward environmental sustainability, and all the organisations who participated showcased initiatives toward reducing energy, water usage, and waste generation,” Strachan continues.
“For us sustainability is a way of life. We entered the Waste Management Awards just to showcase what a bed and breakfast can do. Being a small business we were delighted to be on the judging list and to actually win this event in our category has been absolutely incredible. I’d like to thank the IWMSA for this great honour and just a word of advice to everybody, our slogan for sustainability is “Every little bit helps. If we can do it so can everyone else,” says Tracy Phillips from T&T Bed and Breakfast.
“We applaud this year’s winners for the strides their making toward incorporating responsible waste management practices in their business operations,” says Leon Grobbelaar president of the IWMSA.
The judging process included a site visit and audit by a team of professionals from the IWMSA and the KZN Department of Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs (EDTEA).
The results were:
GENERAL MANUFACTURING (> 250 EMPLOYEES) CATEGORY:
· Gold**** Certificate (4 Star) And Trophy: Unilever Indonsa
· Gold**** Certificate (4 Star): Tongaat Hulett Sugar Refinery
· Gold**** Certificate (4 Star): Constantia Afripack Mobeni
· Gold* Certificate (1 Star): Unilever Maydon Wharf
GENERAL MANUFACTURING (< 250 EMPLOYEES) CATEGORY:
· Gold*** Certificate (3 Star) And Trophy Winner: Chep Cornubia
· Gold*** Certificate (3 Star): Unilever Pietermaritzburg
· Gold** Certificate (2star): Chep Pietermaritzburg
· Gold* Certificate (1star): Unilever Phoenix
· Gold* Certificate (1 Star): Tongaat Hulett Sugar Darnall Mill
· Gold* Certificate (1star): MCC Labels
· Silver Certificate: Constantia Flexibles
SERVICE INDUSTRY CATEGORY:
· Gold*** Certificate (3 Star) And Trophy Winner: T&T Bed and Breakfast
· Gold** Certificate (2 Star): Clifton Hills Homeowners Association
· Gold**Certificate (2star): Dolphin Coast Landfill Management
· Gold**Certificate (2star): Reclite
· Gold* Certificate (1 Star): eWaste Africa
· Gold* Certificate: Unilever Head Office
· Individual Merit Certificate and Trophy – Caren Tarr from Chep
· Cleaner Production Trophy and Certificate – Tongaat Hulett Sugar Refinery
· Innovation Trophy and Certificate – Constantia Afripack Flexibles
· Best New Entrant Trophy and Certificate – T&T Bed and Breakfast
The IWMSA is a professional, multi-disciplinary organisation with voluntary membership established to promote the science and practice of waste management and is a non-profit organisation. For more information, visit www.iwmsa.co.za. The IWMSA is also on Twitter (https://twitter.com/IWMSA) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/iwmsa).